Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Ready, Set, Run!

I grew up with running as a method of exercise along with various other sports.  It was always sort of a family thing where my parents, brother and I would all go out for jogs on summer evenings.  While I haven't run competitively since high school cross-country, I'm begun to find an interest in running local 5k's and hope to soon push for 10k's and maybe even a half-marathon.

In a week and a half, I'll be running my first 5k since giving birth to my daughter and oddly enough, the race is actually the morning of her 1st Birthday!  I must admit I'm pretty excited and proud of myself for coming so far in the past few months.  It was definitely a struggle getting back into shape, and there were some key items that really made everything easier.  This got me thinking about the advice that I've given to several people who are starting out jogging for the first time or getting back into it after a long break.

These are some of the products that make or break my ability to run regularly as well as a few tips to keep you going.

1. The Shoe

Any avid runner will tell you that a good, quality running shoe is essential.  My advice: Go get fitted!  Without the proper shoe, your running adventures will be halted before they ever truly begin.  Find a local running store with professionals who will fit you and find the proper shoe for your foot type, running style, and concerns.  If you're not near a store, some online stores like Road Runner Sports have shoe finders that ask you questions to develop a shoe profile and help you find the perfect fit.  They also allow a 60-90 day test run of your shoes to ensure you're fully satisfied with your purchase.  Can't beat that!


2. Suit Up

For years I struggled with being comfortable during running.  Socks would slip, shorts would ride, bras would suffocate me.  It was only after I invested in some real running gear that I realized I had been suffering for no reason.  You don't have to splurge on expensive running clothes either (though I do recommend shelling out a little more $$ for a good bra if you're a bustier girl).  Stores like Target are coming out with some cute and affordable running wear!  Here are a few pieces of my running wardrobe I can't live without:

C9 by Champion Tank
VS Sports Bras with adjustable back
Athleta Presto Running Short


3. Prepare Yourself

I tend to have a pretty regular running regiment and there are rarely any impromptu runs during my work week.  That said, I plan most of my runs to occur before dinner time once the temperature has gone down a bit.  I try to get in a good snack about 2 hours before I run that will keep me energized.  This usually includes some peanut butter crackers, roasted almonds, a banana, or some dried fruit.  I also try to keep hydrated through out the day by drinking water and keeping track of how much I drink on a sticky note.  Being well prepared for a run can make all the difference in your ability to run 2 miles or 4 miles.


4. Turn it UP!






Music definitely makes running more fun for me and its pretty much the only time I get the chance to enjoy it.  Create a good running mix or download your favorite stations on a radio app to keep yourself motivated.  You'll be humming along to the music and be half way done before you know it!


No comments:

Post a Comment